Thursday, December 3, 2009

Mountain Standard Reserve - Really, this time.

Tonight's quote...

"Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."


I've realized this evening that I need to learn to let go and stop trying to force things in the direction I want them to go. - I should do this with the things that I can, but I've let my desire to shape my world affect my friends and family.

Tonight's Song...

"Van Nuys" Sixx:A.M.
"I don't want to die... out here in the valley. Waiting for my luck to change."
We all want to be somebody. We all want our lives to be significant, yet so many of us sit around waiting for life to happen.
I think the underlying point here is - If you want to be huge, if you want to be something - Do it. Don't wait for what you want to come to you, or for the right time - Make the time right, make the change that's in front of you, that you have the power to change.

Thanks to Nel for Sixx:A.M. I'm working my way to "Girl with Golden Eyes." Stuck on Heart Failure currently.

The topic at hand...

The Beer: Mountain Standard Reserve '09
From: Odell Brewing Company
Price: $11.99 - $15.99 / 22oz Bomber

Color: "Mahogany" Dark. Similar in color to many Belgian style beers, like Abbey, Chimay, Maredsous, etc.
Hops: Chinook and Cascade varieties grown on the Western Slope of CO.
Malts: Not sure. The maltiness is very transparent, which leads me to believe it's a well roasted Crystal Malt, but I'm not 100%.

Caution: This beer, being bottle conditioned and intended for aging WILL head up quickly. Avoid pouring a cold beer into a glass that's not as cold. If the beer has been in the refrigerator a few days, make sure the glass has been in the freezer for a while. If it's room temperature, make sure the glass is room temp, or you'll end up with 1/4 beer, 3/4 head.

Temp Suggestion: Serving this up ice cold is a challenge, because of how it likes to head up, but doing so is going to bring out it's hoppiness a LOT more. The warmer it becomes, the more the malt will factor into the taste. Being a hop head, I'd prefer it cold, but it's one of the few beers that's fantastic at room temp as well. It's much easier to pour warm, however.
Also, likely a good idea to open it, and give it about 2-3 minutes of air. Pull the glass out of the freezer with 1 minute remaining, to match temp.


This beer is a pleasant hoppy surprise. Being dark, one would expect it to have a taste mostly dominated by the malt, yet due to dry hopping and a double dose of hops, it has a wonderful fresh nose and character you would expect from a heavily hopped IPA or Pale ale without quite the bite. The typical hoppy bite is curbed very well by the more roasted malt, but thanks to the proper type of malt, it doesn't dominate the flavor like others do. A regular complaint I have is the excessive presence of malt in darker IPA's and Pale Ales intended to curb the bitter. Often times this ends up destroying the presence of the hops. This beer addresses that complaint very well, keeping the hop aroma and presence in the beer very much alive, while still tapering some of the less pleasant bitter that often accompanies an IPA.

9/10 from me on this. I'd give it the full 10/10, but 15 bucks for a beer makes it a rare treat, instead of something you can really enjoy regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment